- Put the horn to your mouth.
He comes like an eagle against the house of the Lord;
because they have gone against my agreement, they have not kept my law.
- They will send up to me a cry for help: We, Israel, have knowledge of you, O God of Israel.
- Israel has given up what is good;
his haters will go after him.
- They have put up kings, but not by me;
they have made princes, but I had no knowledge of it;
they have made images of silver and gold, so that they may be cut off.
- I will have nothing to do with your young ox, O Samaria;
my wrath is burning against them;
how long will it be before the children of Israel make themselves clean?
- The workman made it, it is no god;
the ox of Samaria will be broken into bits.
- For they have been planting the wind, and their fruit will be the storm;
his grain has no stem, it will give no meal, and if it does, a strange nation will take it.
- Israel has come to destruction;
now they are among the nations like a cup in which there is no pleasure.
- For they have gone up to Assyria like an ass going by himself;
Ephraim has given money to get lovers.
- But though they give money to the nations for help, still I will send them in all directions;
and in a short time they will be without a king and rulers.
- Because Ephraim has been increasing altars for sin, altars have become a cause of sin to him.
- Though I put my law in writing for him in ten thousand rules, they are to him as a strange thing.
- He gives the offerings of his lovers, and takes the flesh for food;
but the Lord has no pleasure in them;
now he will keep in mind their evil-doing and give them the punishment of their sins;
they will go back to Egypt.
- For Israel has no memory of his Maker, and has put up the houses of kings;
and Judah has made great the number of his walled towns.
But I will send a fire on his towns and put an end to his great houses.