- Have no joy, O Israel, and do not be glad like the nations;
for you have been untrue to your God;
your desire has been for the loose woman's reward on every grain-floor.
- The grain-floor and the place where the grapes are crushed will not give them food;
there will be no new wine for them.
- They will have no resting-place in the Lord's land, but Ephraim will go back to Egypt, and they will take unclean food in Assyria.
- They will give no wine offering to the Lord, they will not make offerings ready for him;
their bread will be like the bread of those in sorrow;
all who take it will be unclean, because their bread will be only for their desire, it will not come into the house of the Lord.
- What will you do on the day of worship, and on the day of the feast of the Lord?
- For see, they are going away into Assyria;
Egypt will get them together, Memphis will be their last resting-place;
their fair silver vessels will be covered over with field plants, and thorns will come up in their tents.
- The days of punishment, the days of reward are come;
Israel will be put to shame;
the prophet is foolish, the man who has the spirit is off his head, because of your great sin.
- There is great hate against the watchman of Ephraim, the people of my God;
as for the prophet, there is a net in all his ways, and hate in the house of his God.
- They have gone deep in evil as in the days of Gibeah;
he will keep in mind their wrongdoing, he will give them punishment for their sins.
- I made discovery of Israel as of grapes in the waste land;
I saw your fathers as the first-fruits of the fig-tree in her early fruit time;
but they came to Baal-peor, and made themselves holy to the thing of shame, and became disgusting like that to which they gave their love.
- As for Ephraim, their glory will go in flight like a bird: there will be no birth and no one with child and no giving of life.
- Even though their children have come to growth I will take them away, so that not a man will be there;
for their evil-doing will be complete and they will be put to shame because of it.
- As I have seen a beast whose young have been taken from her, so Ephraim will give birth to children only for them to be put to death.
- O Lord, what will you give them?
Give them bodies which may not give birth and breasts without milk.
- All their evil-doing is in Gilgal;
there I had hate for them;
because of their evil-doing I will send them out of my house;
they will no longer be dear to me;
all their rulers are uncontrolled.
- The rod has come on Ephraim, their root is dry, let them have no fruit;
even though they give birth, I will put to death the dearest fruit of their bodies.
- My God will give them up because they did not give ear to him;
they will be wandering among the nations.