- The vision of Isaiah, the son of Amoz, which he saw about Judah and Jerusalem, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
- Give ear, O heavens, and you, O earth, to the word which the Lord has said: I have taken care of my children till they became men, but their hearts have been turned away from me.
- Even the ox has knowledge of its owner, and the ass of the place where its master puts its food: but Israel has no knowledge, my people give no thought to me.
- O nation full of sin, a people weighted down with crime, a generation of evil-doers, false-hearted children: they have gone away from the Lord, they have no respect for the Holy One of Israel, their hearts are turned back from him.
- Why will you have more and more punishment?
why keep on in your evil ways?
Every head is tired and every heart is feeble.
- The body, from head to foot, is all diseased;
it is a mass of open wounds, marks of blows, and broken flesh: the flow of blood has not been stopped, and no oil has been put on the wounds.
- Your country has become waste;
your towns are burned with fire;
as for your land, it is overturned before your eyes, made waste and overcome by men from strange lands.
- And the daughter of Zion has become like a tent in a vine-garden, like a watchman's house in a field of fruit, like a town shut in by armies.
- If the Lord of armies had not kept some at least of us safe, we would have been like Sodom, and the fate of Gomorrah would have been ours.
- Give ear to the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom;
let your hearts be turned to the law of our God, you people of Gomorrah.
- What use to me is the number of the offerings which you give me?
says the Lord;
your burned offerings of sheep, and the best parts of fat cattle, are a weariness to me;
I take no pleasure in the blood of oxen, or of lambs, or of he-goats.
- At whose request do you come before me, making my house unclean with your feet?
- Give me no more false offerings;
the smoke of burning flesh is disgusting to me, so are your new moons and Sabbaths and your holy meetings.
- Your new moons and your regular feasts are a grief to my soul: they are a weight in my spirit;
I am crushed under them.
- And when your hands are stretched out to me, my eyes will be turned away from you: even though you go on making prayers, I will not give ear: your hands are full of blood.
- Be washed, make yourselves clean;
put away the evil of your doings from before my eyes;
let there be an end of sinning;
- Take pleasure in well-doing;
let your ways be upright, keep down the cruel, give a right decision for the child who has no father, see to the cause of the widow.
- Come now, and let us have an argument together, says the Lord: how may your sins which are red like blood be white as snow?
how may their dark purple seem like wool?
- If you will give ear to my word and do it, the good things of the land will be yours;
- But if your hearts are turned against me, I will send destruction on you by the sword;
so the Lord has said.
- The upright town has become untrue;
there was a time when her judges gave right decisions, when righteousness had a resting-place in her, but now she is full of those who take men's lives.
- Your silver is no longer true metal, your wine is mixed with water.
- Your chiefs have gone against the Lord, they have become friends of thieves;
every one of them is looking for profit and going after rewards;
they do not give right decisions for the child who has no father, and they do not let the cause of the widow come before them.
- For this reason the Lord, the Lord of armies, the Strong One of Israel, has said, I will put an end to my haters, and send punishment on those who are against me;
- And my hand will again be on you, washing away what is unclean as with soap, and taking away all your false metal;
- And I will give you judges again as at the first, and wise guides as in the past;
then you will be named, The Town of Righteousness, the true town.
- Upright acts will be the price of Zion's forgiveness, and by righteousness will men be living there.
- But a common destruction will overtake sinners and evil-doers together, and those who have gone away from the Lord will be cut off.
- For you will be put to shame because of the trees of your desire, and because of the gardens of your pleasure.
- For you will be like a tree whose leaves have become dry, and like a garden without water.
- And the strong will be as food for the fire, and his work as a flame;
and they will be burned together, with no one to put out the fire.