- And they will send … to the mountain of the daughter of Zion.
- For the daughters of Moab will be like wandering birds, like a place from which the young birds have gone in flight, at the ways across the Arnon.
- Give wise directions, make a decision;
let your shade be as night in full day: keep safe those who are in flight;
do not give up the wandering ones.
- Let those who have been forced out of Moab have a resting-place with you;
be a cover to them from him who is making waste their land: till the cruel ones are cut off, and wasting has come to an end, and those who take pleasure in crushing the poor are gone from the land.
- Then a king's seat will be based on mercy, and one will be seated on it in the tent of David for ever;
judging uprightly, and quick to do righteousness.
- We have had word of the pride of Moab, how great it is;
how he is lifted up in pride and passion: his high words about himself are false.
- For this cause everyone in Moab will give cries of grief for Moab: crushed to the earth, they will be weeping for the men of Kir-hareseth.
- For the fields of Heshbon are waste, the vine of Sibmah is dead;
the lords of nations were overcome by the produce of her vines;
her vine-plants went as far as Jazer, and came even to the waste land;
her branches were stretched out to the sea.
- For this cause my sorrow for the vine of Sibmah will be like the weeping for Jazer: my eyes are dropping water on you, O Heshbon and Elealeh!
For they are sounding the war-cry over your summer fruits and the getting in of your grain;
- And all joy is gone;
no longer are they glad for the fertile field;
and in the vine-gardens there are no songs or sounds of joy: the crushing of grapes has come to an end, and its glad cry has been stopped.
- For this cause the cords of my heart are sounding for Moab, and I am full of sorrow for Kir-heres.
- And when Moab goes up to the high place, and makes prayer in the house of his god, it will have no effect.
- This is the word which the Lord said about Moab in the past.
- But now the Lord has said, In three years, the years of a servant working for payment, the glory of Moab, all that great people, will be turned to shame, and the rest of Moab will be very small and without honour.