- The word about the waste land.
As storm-winds in the South go rushing through, it comes from the waste land, from the land greatly to be feared.
- A vision of fear comes before my eyes;
the worker of deceit goes on in his false way, and the waster goes on making waste.
to the attack!
I have put an end to her sorrow.
- For this cause I am full of bitter grief;
pains like the pains of a woman in childbirth have come on me: I am bent down with sorrow at what comes to my ears;
I am shocked by what I see.
- My mind is wandering, fear has overcome me: the evening of my desire has been turned into shaking for me.
- They make ready the table, they put down the covers, they take food and drink.
put oil on your breastplates.
- For so has the Lord said to me, Go, let a watchman be placed;
let him give word of what he sees:
- And when he sees war-carriages, horsemen by twos, war-carriages with asses, war-carriages with camels, let him give special attention.
- And the watchman gave a loud cry, O my lord, I am on the watchtower all day, and am placed in my watch every night:
- See, here come war-carriages with men, horsemen by twos: and in answer he said, Babylon is made low, is made low, and all her images are broken on the earth.
- O my crushed ones, the grain of my floor!
I have given you the word which came to me from the Lord of armies, the God of Israel.
- The word about Edom.
A voice comes to me from Seir, Watchman, how far gone is the night?
how far gone is the night?
- The watchman says, The morning has come, but night is still to come: if you have questions to put, put them, and come back again.
- The word about Arabia.
In the thick woods of Arabia will be your night's resting-place, O travelling bands of Dedanites!
- Give water to him who is in need of water;
give bread, O men of the land of Tema, to those in flight.
- For they are in flight from the sharp sword, and the bent bow, and from the trouble of war.
- For so has the Lord said to me, In a year, by the years of a servant working for payment, all the glory of Kedar will come to an end:
- And the rest of the bowmen, the men of war of the children of Kedar, will be small in number: for the Lord, the God of Israel, has said it.