- See, the Lord is making the earth waste and unpeopled, he is turning it upside down, and sending the people in all directions.
- And it will be the same for the people as for the priest;
for the servant as for his master;
and for the woman-servant as for her owner;
the same for the one offering goods for a price as for him who takes them;
the same for him who gives money at interest and for him who takes it;
the same for him who lets others have the use of his property as for those who make use of it.
- The earth will be completely waste and without men;
for this is the word of the Lord.
- The earth is sorrowing and wasting away, the world is full of grief and wasting away, the high ones of the earth come to nothing.
- The earth has been made unclean by those living in it;
because the laws have not been kept by them, the orders have been changed, and the eternal agreement has been broken.
- For this cause the earth is given up to the curse, and those in it are judged as sinners: for this cause those living on the earth are burned up, and the rest are small in number.
- The new wine is thin, the vine is feeble, and all the glad-hearted make sounds of grief.
- The pleasing sound of all instruments of music has come to an end, and the voices of those who are glad.
- There is no more drinking of wine with a song;
strong drink will be bitter to those who take it.
- The town is waste and broken down: every house is shut up, so that no man may come in.
- There is a crying in the streets because of the wine;
there is an end of all delight, the joy of the land is gone.
- In the town all is waste, and in the public place is destruction.
- For it will be in the heart of the earth among the peoples, like the shaking of an olive-tree, as the last of the grapes after the getting-in is done.
- But those will be making sounds of joy;
they will be crying loudly from the sea for the glory of the Lord.
- Give praise to the Lord in the east, to the name of the Lord, the God of Israel, in the sea-lands.
- From the farthest part of the earth comes the sound of songs, glory to the upright.
But I said, I am wasting away, wasting away, the curse is on me!
The false ones go on in their false way, yes, they go on acting falsely.
- Fear, and death, and the net, are come on you, O people of the earth.
- And it will be that he who goes in flight from the sound of fear will be overtaken by death;
and he who gets free from death will be taken in the net: for the windows on high are open, and the bases of the earth are shaking.
- The earth is completely broken, it is parted in two, it is violently moved.
- The earth will be moving uncertainly, like a man overcome by drink;
it will be shaking like a tent;
and the weight of its sin will be on it, crushing it down so that it will not get up again.
- And in that day the Lord will send punishment on the army of the high ones on high, and on the kings of the earth on the earth.
- And they will be got together, like prisoners in the prison-house;
and after a long time they will have their punishment.
- Then the moon will be veiled, and the sun put to shame;
for the Lord of armies will be ruling in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem, and before his judges he will let his glory be seen.