- For the Lord, the Lord of armies, is about to take away from Jerusalem and from Judah all their support;
their store of bread and of water;
- The strong man and the man of war;
the judge and the prophet;
the man who has knowledge of secret arts, and the man who is wise because of his years;
- The captain of fifty, and the man of high position, and the wise guide, and the wonder-worker, and he who makes use of secret powers.
- And I will make children their chiefs, and foolish ones will have rule over them.
- And the people will be crushed, every one by his neighbour;
the young will be full of pride against the old, and those of low position will be lifted up against the noble.
- When one man puts his hand on another in his father's house, and says, You have clothing, be our ruler and be responsible for us in our sad condition:
- Then he will say with an oath, I will not be a helper, for in my house there is no bread or clothing: I will not let you make me a ruler of the people.
- For Jerusalem has become feeble, and destruction has come on Judah, because their words and their acts are against the Lord, moving the eyes of his glory to wrath.
- Their respect for a man's position is a witness against them;
and their sin is open to the view of all;
like that of Sodom, it is not covered.
A curse on their soul!
for the measure of their sin is full.
- Happy is the upright man!
for he will have joy of the fruit of his ways.
- Unhappy is the sinner!
for the reward of his evil doings will come on him.
- As for my people, their ruler is acting like a child, and those who have authority over them are women.
O my people, your guides are the cause of your wandering, turning your footsteps out of the right way.
- The Lord is ready to take up his cause against his people, and is about to come forward as their judge.
- The Lord comes to be the judge of their responsible men and of their rulers: it is you who have made waste the vine-garden, and in your houses is the property of the poor which you have taken by force.
- By what right are you crushing my people, and putting a bitter yoke on the necks of the poor?
This is the word of the Lord, the Lord of armies.
- Again, the Lord has said, Because the daughters of Zion are full of pride, and go with outstretched necks and wandering eyes, with their foot-chains sounding when they go:
- The Lord will send disease on the heads of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will let their secret parts be seen.
- In that day the Lord will take away the glory of their foot-rings, and their sun-jewels, and their moon-ornaments,
- The ear-rings, and the chains, and the delicate clothing,
- The head-bands, and the arm-chains, and the worked bands, and the perfume-boxes, and the jewels with secret powers,
- The rings, and the nose-jewels,
- The feast-day dresses, and the robes, and the wide skirts, and the handbags,
- The looking-glasses, and the fair linen, and the high head-dresses, and the veils.
- And in the place of sweet spices will be an evil smell, and for a fair band a thick cord;
for a well-dressed head there will be the cutting-off of the hair, and for a beautiful robe there will be the clothing of sorrow;
the mark of the prisoner in place of the ornaments of the free.
- Your men will be put to the sword, and your men of war will come to destruction in the fight.
- And in the public places of her towns will be sorrow and weeping;
and she will be seated on the earth, waste and uncovered.