- And now, give ear, O Jacob my servant, and Israel whom I have taken for myself:
- The Lord who made you, forming you in your mother's body, the Lord, your helper, says, Have no fear, O Jacob my servant, and you, Jeshurun, whom I have taken for myself.
- For I will send water on the land needing it, and streams on the dry earth: I will let my spirit come down on your seed, and my blessing on your offspring.
- And they will come up like grass in a well-watered field, like water-plants by the streams.
- One will say, I am the Lord's;
and another will give himself the name, Jacob;
another will put a mark on his hand, I am the Lord's, and another will take the name of Israel for himself.
- The Lord, the King of Israel, even the Lord of armies who has taken up his cause, says, I am the first and the last, and there is no God but me.
- If there is one like me, let him come forward and say it, let him make it clear and put it in order before me: who has made clear in the past the things to come?
let him make clear the future to me.
- Have no fear, be strong in heart;
have I not made it clear to you in the past, and let you see it?
and you are my witnesses.
Is there any God but me, or a Rock of whom I have no knowledge?
- Those who make a pictured image are all of them as nothing, and the things of their desire will be of no profit to them: and their servants see not, and have no knowledge;
so they will be put to shame.
- Whoever makes a god, makes nothing but a metal image in which there is no profit.
- Truly, all those who make use of secret arts will be put to shame, and their words of power are only words of men: let them all come forward together;
they will all be in fear and be put to shame.
- The iron-worker is heating the metal in the fire, giving it form with his hammers, and working on it with his strong arm: then for need of food his strength gives way, and for need of water he becomes feeble.
- The woodworker is measuring out the wood with his line, marking it out with his pencil: after smoothing it with his plane, and making circles on it with his instrument, he gives it the form and glory of a man, so that it may be placed in the house.
- He has cedars cut down for himself, he takes an oak and lets it get strong among the trees of the wood;
he has an ash-tree planted, and the rain gives it growth.
- Then it will be used to make a fire, so that a man may get warm;
he has the oven heated with it and makes bread: he makes a god with it, to which he gives worship: he makes a pictured image out of it, and goes down on his face before it.
- With part of it he makes a fire, and on the fire he gets meat cooked and takes a full meal: he makes himself warm, and says, Aha!
I am warm, I have seen the fire:
- And the rest of it he makes into a god, even his pictured image: he goes down on his face before it, giving worship to it, and making prayer to it, saying, Be my saviour;
for you are my god.
- They have no knowledge or wisdom;
for he has put a veil over their eyes, so that they may not see;
and on their hearts, so that they may not give attention.
- And no one takes note, no one has enough knowledge or wisdom to say, I have put part of it in the fire, and made bread on it;
I have had a meal of the flesh cooked with it: and am I now to make the rest of it into a false god?
am I to go down on my face before a bit of wood?
- As for him whose food is the dust of a dead fire, he has been turned from the way by a twisted mind, so that he is unable to keep himself safe by saying, What I have here in my hand is false.
- Keep these things in mind, O Jacob;
and you Israel, for you are my servant: I have made you;
you are my servant;
O Israel, I will not let you go out of my memory.
- I have put your evil doings out of my mind like a thick cloud, and your sins like a mist: come back to me;
for I have taken up your cause.
- Make a song, O heavens, for the Lord has done it: give a loud cry, you deep parts of the earth: let your voices be loud in song, you mountains, and you woods with all your trees: for the Lord has taken up the cause of Jacob, and will let his glory be seen in Israel.
- The Lord, who has taken up your cause, and who gave you life in your mother's body, says, I am the Lord who makes all things;
stretching out the heavens by myself, and giving the earth its limits;
who was with me?
- Who makes the signs of those who give word of the future come to nothing, so that those who have knowledge of secret arts go off their heads;
turning the wise men back, and making their knowledge foolish:
- Who makes the word of his servants certain, and gives effect to the purposes of his representatives;
who says of Jerusalem, Her people will come back to her;
and of the towns of Judah, I will give orders for their building, and will make her waste places fertile again:
- Who says to the deep, Be dry, and I will make your rivers dry:
- Who says of Cyrus, He will take care of my sheep, and will do all my pleasure: who says of Jerusalem, I will give the word for your building;
and of the Temple, Your bases will be put in place.