- Bel is bent down, Nebo is falling;
their images are on the beasts and on the cattle: the things which you took about have become a weight to the tired beast.
- They are bent down, they are falling together: they were not able to keep their images safe, but they themselves have been taken prisoner.
- Give ear to me, O family of Jacob, and all the rest of the people of Israel, who have been supported by me from their birth, and have been my care from their earliest days:
- Even when you are old I will be the same, and when you are grey-haired I will take care of you: I will still be responsible for what I made;
yes, I will take you and keep you safe.
- Who in your eyes is my equal?
or what comparison will you make with me?
- As for those who take gold out of a bag, and put silver in the scales, they give payment to a gold-worker, to make it into a god;
they go down on their faces and give it worship.
- They put him on their backs, and take him up, and put him in his fixed place, from which he may not be moved;
if a man gives a cry for help to him, he is unable to give an answer, or get him out of his trouble.
- Keep this in mind and be shamed;
let it come back to your memory, you sinners.
- Let the things which are past come to your memory: for I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like me;
- Making clear from the first what is to come, and from past times the things which have not so far come about;
saying, My purpose is fixed, and I will do all my pleasure;
- Sending for a bird of strong flight from the east, the man of my purpose from a far country;
I have said it, and I will give effect to it;
the thing designed by me will certainly be done.
- Give ear to me, you feeble-hearted, who have no faith in my righteousness:
- My righteousness is near, it is not far off;
salvation will come quickly;
and I will make Zion free, and give Israel my glory.