- Come and take your seat in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon;
come down from your seat of power, and take your place on the earth, O daughter of the Chaldaeans: for you will never again seem soft and delicate.
- Take the crushing-stones and get the meal crushed: take off your veil, put away your robe, let your legs be uncovered, go through the rivers.
- The shame of your unclothed condition will be seen by all: I will give punishment without mercy,
- Says the Lord who takes up our cause;
the Lord of armies is his name, the Holy One of Israel.
- Be seated in the dark without a word, O daughter of the Chaldaeans: for you will no longer be named, The Queen of Kingdoms.
- I was angry with my people, I put shame on my heritage, and gave them into your hands: you had no mercy on them;
you put a cruel yoke on those who were old;
- And you said, I will be a queen for ever: you did not give attention to these things, and did not keep in mind what would come after.
- So now take note of this, you who are given up to pleasure, living without fear of evil, saying in your heart, I am, and there is no one like me;
I will never be a widow, or have my children taken from me.
- But these two things will come on you suddenly in one day, the loss of children and of husband: in full measure they will come on you, for all your secret arts, and all your wonders.
- For you had faith in your evil-doing;
you said, No one sees me;
by your wisdom and knowledge you have been turned out of the way: and you have said in your heart, I am, and there is no other.
- Because of this evil will come on you, which may not be turned away for any price: and trouble will overtake you, from which no money will give salvation: destruction will come on you suddenly, without your knowledge.
- Go on now with your secret arts, and all your wonder-working, to which you have given yourself up from your earliest days;
it may be that they will be of profit to you, or by them you may put fear into your attackers.
- But your mind is troubled by the number of your guides: let them now come forward for your salvation: the measurers of the heavens, the watchers of the stars, and those who are able to say from month to month what things are coming on you.
- Truly, they have become like dry stems, they have been burned in the fire;
they are not able to keep themselves safe from the power of the flame: it is not a coal for warming them, or a fire by which a man may be seated.
- Small profit have you had from those who, from your earliest days, got great profit out of you;
they have gone in flight, every one straight before him, and you have no saviour.