- Give ear to this, O family of Jacob, you who are named by the name of Israel, and have come out of the body of Judah;
who take oaths by the name of the Lord, and make use of the name of the God of Israel, but not truly and not in good faith.
- For they say that they are of the holy town, and put their faith in the God of Israel: the Lord of armies is his name.
- I gave word in the past of the things which came about;
they came from my mouth, and I made them clear: suddenly I did them, and they came about.
- Because I saw that your heart was hard, and that your neck was an iron cord, and your brow brass;
- For this reason I made it clear to you in the past, before it came I gave you word of it: for fear that you might say, My god did these things, and my pictured and metal images made them come about.
- All this has come to your ears and you have seen it;
will you not give witness to it?
I am now making clear new things, even secret things, of which you had no knowledge.
- They have only now been effected, and not in the past: and before this day they had not come to your ears;
for fear that you might say, I had knowledge of them.
- Truly you had no word of them, no knowledge of them;
no news of them in the past had come to your ears;
because I saw how false was your behaviour, and that your heart was turned against me from your earliest days.
- Because of my name I will put away my wrath, and for my praise I will keep myself from cutting you off.
- See, I have been testing you for myself like silver;
I have put you through the fire of trouble.
- For myself, even because of my name, I will do it;
for I will not let my name be shamed;
and my glory I will not give to another.
- Give ear to me, Jacob, and Israel, my loved one;
I am he, I am the first and I am the last.
- Yes, by my hand was the earth placed on its base, and by my right hand the heavens were stretched out;
at my word they take up their places.
- Come together, all of you, and give ear;
who among you has given news of these things?
the Lord's loved one will do his pleasure with Babylon, and with the seed of the Chaldaeans.
- I, even I, have given the word;
I have sent for him: I have made him come, and have given effect to his undertakings.
- Come near to me, and give ear to this;
from the start I did not keep it secret;
from the time of its coming into existence I was there: and now the Lord God has sent me, and given me his spirit.
- The Lord who takes up your cause, the Holy One of Israel, says, I am the Lord your God, who is teaching you for your profit, guiding you by the way in which you are to go.
- If only you had given ear to my orders, then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness as the waves of the sea:
- Your seed would have been like the sand, and your offspring like the dust: your name would not be cut off or come to an end before me.
- Go out of Babylon, go in flight from the Chaldaeans;
with the sound of song make it clear, give the news, let the word go out even to the end of the earth: say, The Lord has taken up the cause of his servant Jacob.
- They had no need of water when he was guiding them through the waste lands: he made water come out of the rock for them: the rock was parted and the waters came flowing out.
- There is no peace, says the Lord, for the evil-doers.