- Now after the death of Joshua, the children of Israel made request to the Lord, saying, Who is to go up first to make war for us against the Canaanites?
- And the Lord said, Judah is to go up: see, I have given the land into his hands.
- Then Judah said to Simeon his brother, Come up with me into my heritage, so that we may make war against the Canaanites;
and I will then go with you into your heritage.
So Simeon went with him.
- And Judah went up;
and the Lord gave the Canaanites and the Perizzites into their hands;
and they overcame ten thousand of them in Bezek.
- And they came across Adoni-zedek, and made war on him;
and they overcame the Canaanites and the Perizzites.
- But Adoni-zedek went in flight;
and they went after him and overtook him, and had his thumbs and his great toes cut off.
- And Adoni-zedek said, Seventy kings, whose thumbs and great toes had been cut off, got broken meat under my table: as I have done, so has God done to me in full.
And they took him to Jerusalem, and he came to his end there.
- Then the children of Judah made an attack on Jerusalem, and took it, burning down the town after they had put its people to the sword without mercy.
- After that the children of Judah went down to make war on the Canaanites living in the hill-country and in the south and in the lowlands.
- And Caleb went against the Canaanites of Hebron: (now in earlier times Hebron was named Kiriath-arba:) and he put Sheshai and Ahiman and Talmai to the sword.
- And from there he went up against the people of Debir.
(Now the name of Debir in earlier times was Kiriath-sepher.)
- And Caleb said, I will give Achsah, my daughter, as wife to the man who overcomes Kiriath-sepher and takes it.
- And Othniel, the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother, took it;
so he gave him his daughter Achsah for his wife.
- Now when she came to him, he put into her mind the idea of requesting a field from her father: and she got down from her ass;
and Caleb said to her, What is it?
- And she said to him, Give me a blessing;
because you have put me in a dry south-land, now give me springs of water.
So Caleb gave her the higher spring and the lower spring.
- Now Hobab the Kenite, Moses' father-in-law, had come up out of the town of palm-trees, with the children of Judah, into the waste land of Arad;
and he went and was living among the Amalekites;
- And Judah went with Simeon, his brother, and overcame the Canaanites living in Zephath, and put it under the curse;
and he gave the town the name of Hormah.
- Then Judah took Gaza and its limit, and Ashkelon and its limit, and Ekron and its limit.
- And the Lord was with Judah;
and he took the hill-country for his heritage;
but he was unable to make the people of the valley go out, for they had war-carriages of iron.
- And they gave Hebron to Caleb, as Moses had said;
and he took the land of the three sons of Anak, driving them out from there.
- And the children of Judah did not make the Jebusites who were living in Jerusalem go out;
the Jebusites are still living with the children of Benjamin in Jerusalem.
- And the family of Joseph went up against Beth-el, and the Lord was with them.
- So they sent men to make a search round Beth-el.
(Now the name of the town in earlier times was Luz.)
- And the watchers saw a man coming out of the town, and said to him, If you will make clear to us the way into the town, we will be kind to you.
- So he made clear to them the way into the town, and they put it to the sword;
but they let the man and all his family get away safe.
- And he went into the land of the Hittites, building a town there and naming it Luz: which is its name to this day.
- And Manasseh did not take away the land of the people of Beth-shean and its daughter-towns, or of Taanach and its daughter-towns, or of the people of Dor and its daughter-towns, or of the people of Ibleam and its daughter-towns, or of the people of Megiddo and its daughter-towns, driving them out;
but the Canaanites would go on living in that land.
- And whenever Israel became strong, they put the Canaanites to forced work, without driving them out completely.
- And Ephraim did not make the Canaanites who were living in Gezer go out;
but the Canaanites went on living in Gezer among them.
- Zebulun did not make the people of Kitron or the people of Nahalol go out;
but the Canaanites went on living among them and were put to forced work.
- And Asher did not take the land of the people of Acco, or Zidon, or Ahlab, or Achzib, or Helbah, or Aphik, or Rehob, driving them out;
- But the Asherites went on living among the Canaanites, the people of the land, without driving them out.
- Naphtali did not take the land of the people of Beth-shemesh or of Beth-anath, driving them out;
but he was living among the Canaanites in the land;
however, the people of Beth-shemesh and Beth-anath were put to forced work.
- And the children of Dan were forced into the hill-country by the Amorites, who would not let them come down into the valley;
- For the Amorites would go on living in Mount Heres, in Aijalon, and in Shaalbim;
but the children of Joseph became stronger than they, and put them to forced work.
- And the limit of the Edomites went from the slope of Akrabbim from Sela and up.