- Give ear to the word which the Lord says to you, O people of Israel:
- This is what the Lord has said: Do not go in the way of the nations;
have no fear of the signs of heaven, for the nations go in fear of them.
- For that which is feared by the people is foolish: it is the work of the hands of the workman;
for a tree is cut down by him out of the woods with his axe.
- They make it beautiful with silver and gold;
they make it strong with nails and hammers, so that it may not be moved.
- It is like a pillar in a garden of plants, and has no voice: it has to be lifted, for it has no power of walking.
Have no fear of it;
for it has no power of doing evil and it is not able to do any good.
- There is no one like you, O Lord;
you are great and your name is great in power.
- Who would not have fear of you, O King of the nations?
for it is your right: for among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you.
- But they are together like beasts and foolish: the teaching of false gods is wood.
- Silver hammered into plates is sent from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the expert workman and of the hands of the gold-worker;
blue and purple is their clothing, all the work of expert men.
- But the Lord is the true God;
he is the living God and an eternal king: when he is angry, the earth is shaking with fear, and the nations give way before his wrath.
- This is what you are to say to them: The gods who have not made the heavens and the earth will be cut off from the earth and from under the heavens.
- He has made the earth by his power, he has made the world strong in its place by his wisdom, and by his wise design the heavens have been stretched out.
- At the sound of his voice there is a massing of waters in the heavens, and he makes the mists go up from the ends of the earth;
he makes the thunder-flames for the rain, and sends out the wind from his store-houses.
- Then every man becomes like a beast without knowledge;
every gold-worker is put to shame by the image he has made: for his metal image is deceit, and there is no breath in them.
- They are nothing, a work of error: in the time of their punishment, destruction will overtake them.
- The heritage of Jacob is not like these;
for the maker of all things is his heritage: the Lord of armies is his name.
- Get your goods together and go out of the land, O you who are shut up in the walled town.
- For the Lord has said, I will send the people in flight like a stone from the land at this time, troubling them so that they will be conscious of it.
- Sorrow is mine for I am wounded!
my wound may not be made well;
and I said, Cruel is my disease, I may not be free from it.
- My tent is pulled down and all my cords are broken: my children have gone from me, and they are not: no longer is there anyone to give help in stretching out my tent and hanging up my curtains.
- For the keepers of the sheep have become like beasts, not looking to the Lord for directions: so they have not done wisely and all their flocks have been put to flight.
- News is going about, see, it is coming, a great shaking is coming from the north country, so that the towns of Judah may be made waste and become the living-place of jackals.
- O Lord, I am conscious that a man's way is not in himself: man has no power of guiding his steps.
- O Lord, put me right, but with wise purpose;
not in your wrath, or you will make me small.
- Let your wrath be let loose on the nations which have no knowledge of you, and on the families who give no worship to your name: for they have made a meal of Jacob, truly they have made a meal of him and put an end to him and made his fields a waste.