- The words which Jeremiah the prophet said to Baruch, the son of Neriah, when he put these words down in a book from the mouth of Jeremiah, in the fourth year of Jehoiakim, the son of Josiah, king of Judah;
- This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, has said of you, O Baruch:
- You said, Sorrow is mine!
for the Lord has given me sorrow in addition to my pain;
I am tired with the sound of my sorrow, and I get no rest.
- This is what you are to say to him: The Lord has said, Truly, the building which I put up will be broken down, and that which was planted by me will be uprooted, and this through all the land;
- And as for you, are you looking for great things for yourself?
Have no desire for them: for truly I will send evil on all flesh, says the Lord: but your life I will keep safe from attack wherever you go.