- The word of the Lord which came to Jeremiah the prophet about the nations.
- Of Egypt: about the army of Pharaoh-neco, king of Egypt, which was by the river Euphrates in Carchemish, which Nebuchadrezzar, king of Babylon, overcame in the fourth year of Jehoiakim, the son of Josiah, king of Judah.
- Get out the breastplate and body-cover, and come together to the fight.
- Make the horses ready, and get up, you horsemen, and take your places with your head-dresses;
make the spears sharp and put on the breastplates.
- What have I seen?
they are overcome with fear and turned back;
their men of war are broken and have gone in flight, not looking back: fear is on every side, says the Lord.
- Let not the quick-footed go in flight, or the man of war get away;
on the north, by the river Euphrates, they are slipping and falling.
- Who is this coming up like the Nile, whose waters are lifting their heads like the rivers?
- Egypt is coming up like the Nile, and his waters are lifting their heads like the rivers, and he says, I will go up, covering the earth;
I will send destruction on the town and its people.
- Go up, you horses;
go rushing on, you carriages of war;
go out, you men of war: Cush and Put, gripping the body-cover, and the Ludim, with bent bows.
- But that day is the day of the Lord, the Lord of armies, a day of punishment when he will take payment from his haters: and the sword will have all its desire, drinking their blood in full measure: for there is an offering to the Lord, the Lord of armies, in the north country by the river Euphrates.
- Go up to Gilead and take sweet oil, O virgin daughter of Egypt: there is no help in all your medical arts;
nothing will make you well.
- Your shame has come to the ears of the nations, and the earth is full of your cry: for the strong man is falling against the strong, they have come down together.
- The word which the Lord said to Jeremiah the prophet, of how Nebuchadrezzar, king of Babylon, would come and make war on the land of Egypt.
- Give the news in Migdol, make it public in Noph: say, Take up your positions and make yourselves ready;
for on every side of you the sword has made destruction.
- Why has Apis, your strong one, gone in flight?
he was not able to keep his place, because the Lord was forcing him down with strength.
- … are stopped in their going, they are falling;
and they say one to another, Let us get up and go back to our people, to the land of our birth, away from the cruel sword.
- Give a name to Pharaoh, king of Egypt: A noise who has let the time go by.
- By my life, says the King, whose name is the Lord of armies, truly, like Tabor among the mountains and like Carmel by the sea, so will he come.
- O daughter living in Egypt, make ready the vessels of a prisoner: for Noph will become a waste, it will be burned up and become unpeopled.
- Egypt is a fair young cow;
but a biting insect has come on her out of the north.
- And those who were her fighters for payment are like fat oxen;
for they are turned back, they have gone in flight together, they do not keep their place: for the day of their fate has come on them, the time of their punishment.
- She makes a sound like the hiss of a snake when they come on with strength;
they go against her with axes, like wood-cutters.
- They will be cutting down her woods, for they may not be searched out;
because they are like locusts, more than may be numbered.
- The daughter of Egypt will be put to shame;
she will be given up into the hands of the people of the north.
- The Lord of armies, the God of Israel, has said: See, I will send punishment on Amon of No and on Pharaoh and on those who put their faith in him;
- And I will give them up into the hands of those who will take their lives, and into the hands of Nebuchadrezzar, king of Babylon, and into the hands of his servants: and later, it will be peopled as in the past, says the Lord.
- But have no fear, O Jacob, my servant, and do not be troubled, O Israel: for see, I will make you come back from far away, and your seed from the land where they are prisoners;
and Jacob will come back, and will be quiet and in peace, and no one will give him cause for fear.
- Have no fear, O Jacob, my servant, says the Lord;
for I am with you: for I will put an end to all the nations where I have sent you, but I will not put an end to you completely: though with wise purpose I will put right your errors, and will not let you go quite without punishment.