- The word of the Lord which came to Jeremiah the prophet about the Philistines, before Pharaoh's attack on Gaza.
- This is what the Lord has said: See, waters are coming up out of the north, and will become an overflowing stream, overflowing the land and everything in it, the town and those who are living in it;
and men will give a cry, and all the people of the land will be crying out in pain.
- At the noise of the stamping of the feet of his war-horses, at the rushing of his carriages and the thunder of his wheels, fathers will give no thought to their children, because their hands are feeble;
- Because of the day which is coming with destruction on all the Philistines, cutting off from Tyre and Zidon the last of their helpers: for the Lord will send destruction on the Philistines, the rest of the sea-land of Caphtor.
- The hair is cut off from the head of Gaza;
Ashkelon has come to nothing;
the last of the Anakim are deeply wounding themselves.
- O sword of the Lord, how long will you have no rest?
put yourself back into your cover;
be at peace, be quiet.
- How is it possible for it to be quiet, seeing that the Lord has given it orders?
against Ashkelon and against the sea-land he has given it directions.