- Then Zophar the Naamathite made answer and said,
- Are all these words to go unanswered?
and is a man seen to be right because he is full of talk?
- Are your words of pride to make men keep quiet?
and are you to make sport, with no one to put you to shame?
- You may say, My way is clean, and I am free from sin in your eyes.
- But if only God would take up the word, opening his lips in argument with you;
- And would make clear to you the secrets of wisdom, and the wonders of his purpose!
- Are you able to take God's measure, to make discovery of the limits of the Ruler of all?
- They are higher than heaven;
what is there for you to do?
deeper than the underworld, and outside your knowledge;
- Longer in measure than the earth, and wider than the sea.
- If he goes on his way, shutting a man up and putting him to death, who may make him go back from his purpose?
- For in his eyes men are as nothing;
he sees evil and takes note of it.
- And so a hollow-minded man will get wisdom, when a young ass of the field gets teaching.
- But if you put your heart right, stretching out your hands to him;
- If you put far away the evil of your hands, and let no wrongdoing have a place in your tent;
- Then truly your face will be lifted up, with no mark of sin, and you will be fixed in your place without fear:
- For your sorrow will go from your memory, like waters flowing away:
- And your life will be brighter than day;
though it is dark, it will become like the morning.
- And you will be safe because there is hope;
after looking round, you will take your rest in quiet;
- Sleeping with no fear of danger;
and men will be desiring to have grace in your eyes;
- But the eyes of the evil-doers will be wasting away;
their way of flight is gone, and their only hope is the taking of their last breath.