- And Job made answer and said,
- No doubt you have knowledge, and wisdom will come to an end with you.
- But I have a mind as well as you;
I am equal to you: yes, who has not knowledge of such things as these?
- It seems that I am to be as one who is a cause of laughing to his neighbour, one who makes his prayer to God and is answered!
the upright man who has done no wrong is to be made sport of!
- In the thought of him who is in comfort there is no respect for one who is in trouble;
such is the fate of those whose feet are slipping.
- There is wealth in the tents of those who make destruction, and those by whom God is moved to wrath are safe;
even those whose god is their strength.
- But put now a question to the beasts, and get teaching from them;
or to the birds of the heaven, and they will make it clear to you;
- Or to the things which go flat on the earth, and they will give you wisdom;
and the fishes of the sea will give you news of it.
- Who does not see by all these that the hand of the Lord has done this?
- In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all flesh of man.
- Are not words tested by the ear, even as food is tasted by the mouth?
- Old men have wisdom, and a long life gives knowledge.
- With him there is wisdom and strength;
power and knowledge are his.
- Truly, there is no building up of what is pulled down by him;
when a man is shut up by him, no one may let him loose.
- Truly, he keeps back the waters and they are dry;
he sends them out and the earth is overturned.
- With him are strength and wise designs;
he who is guided into error, together with his guide, are in his hands;
- He takes away the wisdom of the wise guides, and makes judges foolish;
- He undoes the chains of kings, and puts his band on them;
- He makes priests prisoners, overturning those in safe positions;
- He makes the words of responsible persons without effect, and takes away the good sense of the old;
- He puts shame on chiefs, and takes away the power of the strong;
- Uncovering deep things out of the dark, and making the deep shade bright;
- Increasing nations, and sending destruction on them;
making wide the lands of peoples, and then giving them up.
- He takes away the wisdom of the rulers of the earth, and sends them wandering in a waste where there is no way.
- They go feeling about in the dark without light, wandering without help like those overcome with wine.