- And Job made answer and said,
- Such things have frequently come to my ears: you are comforters who only give trouble.
- May words which are like the wind be stopped?
or what is troubling you to make answer to them?
- It would not be hard for me to say such things if your souls were in my soul's place;
joining words together against you, and shaking my head at you:
- I might give you strength with my mouth, and not keep back the comfort of my lips.
- If I say what is in my mind, my pain becomes no less: and if I keep quiet, how much of it goes from me?
- But now he has overcome me with weariness and fear, and I am in the grip of all my trouble.
- It has come up as a witness against me, and the wasting of my flesh makes answer to my face.
- I am broken by his wrath, and his hate has gone after me;
he has made his teeth sharp against me: my haters are looking on me with cruel eyes;
- Their mouths are open wide against me;
the blows of his bitter words are falling on my face;
all of them come together in a mass against me.
- God gives me over to the power of sinners, sending me violently into the hands of evil-doers.
- I was in comfort, but I have been broken up by his hands;
he has taken me by the neck, shaking me to bits;
he has put me up as a mark for his arrows.
- His bowmen come round about me;
their arrows go through my body without mercy;
my life is drained out on the earth.
- I am broken with wound after wound;
he comes rushing on me like a man of war.
- I have made haircloth the clothing of my skin, and my horn is rolled in the dust.
- My face is red with weeping, and my eyes are becoming dark;
- Though my hands have done no violent acts, and my prayer is clean.
- O earth, let not my blood be covered, and let my cry have no resting-place!
- Even now my witness is in heaven, and the supporter of my cause is on high.
- My friends make sport of me;
to God my eyes are weeping,
- So that he may give decision for a man in his cause with God, and between a son of man and his neighbour.
- For in a short time I will take the journey from which I will not come back.