- My spirit is broken, my days are ended, the last resting-place is ready for me.
- Truly, those who make sport of me are round about me, and my eyes become dark because of their bitter laughing.
- Be pleased, now, to be responsible for me to yourself;
for there is no other who will put his hand in mine.
- You have kept their hearts from wisdom: for this cause you will not give them honour.
- As for him who is false to his friend for a reward, light will be cut off from the eyes of his children.
- He has made me a word of shame to the peoples;
I have become a mark for their sport.
- My eyes have become dark because of my pain, and all my body is wasted to a shade.
- The upright are surprised at this, and he who has done no wrong is troubled because of the evil-doers.
- Still the upright keeps on his way, and he who has clean hands gets new strength.
- But come back, now, all of you, come;
and I will not see a wise man among you.
- My days are past, my purposes are broken off, even the desires of my heart.
- They are changing night into day;
they say, The light is near the dark.
- If I am waiting for the underworld as my house, if I have made my bed in the dark;
- If I say to the earth, You are my father;
and to the worm, My mother and my sister;
- Where then is my hope?
and who will see my desire?
- Will they go down with me into the underworld?
Will we go down together into the dust?