- Then Eliphaz the Temanite made answer and said,
- Is it possible for a man to be of profit to God?
No, for a man's wisdom is only of profit to himself.
- Is it of any interest to the Ruler of all that you are upright?
or is it of use to him that your ways are without sin?
- Is it because you give him honour that he is sending punishment on you and is judging you?
- Is not your evil-doing great?
and there is no end to your sins.
- For you have taken your brother's goods when he was not in your debt, and have taken away the clothing of those who have need of it.
- You do not give water to the tired traveller, and from him who has no food you keep back bread.
- For it was the man with power who had the land, and the man with an honoured name who was living in it.
- You have sent widows away without hearing their cause, and you have taken away the support of the child who has no father.
- For this cause nets are round your feet, and you are overcome with sudden fear.
- Your light is made dark so that you are unable to see, and you are covered by a mass of waters.
- Is not God as high as heaven?
and see the stars, how high they are!
- And you say, What knowledge has God?
is he able to give decisions through the deep dark?
- Thick clouds are covering him, so that he is unable to see;
and he is walking on the arch of heaven.
- Will you keep the old way by which evil men went?
- Who were violently taken away before their time, who were overcome by the rush of waters:
- Who said to God, Go away from us;
and, What is the Ruler of all able to do to us?
- Though he made their houses full of good things: but the purpose of the evil-doers is far from me!
- The upright saw it and were glad: and those who had done no wrong made sport of them,
- Saying, Truly, their substance is cut off, and their wealth is food for the fire.
- Put yourself now in a right relation with him and be at peace: so will you do well in your undertakings.
- Be pleased to take teaching from his mouth, and let his words be stored up in your heart.
- If you come back to the Ruler of all, making yourself low before him;
if you put evil far away from your tents;
- And put your gold in the dust, even your gold of Ophir among the rocks of the valleys;
- Then the Ruler of all will be your gold, and his teaching will be your silver;
- For then you will have delight in the Ruler of all, and your face will be lifted up to God.
- You will make your prayer to him, and be answered;
and you will give effect to your oaths.
- Your purposes will come about, and light will be shining on your ways.
- For God makes low those whose hearts are lifted up, but he is a saviour to the poor in spirit.
- He makes safe the man who is free from sin, and if your hands are clean, salvation will be yours.