- And Job made answer and said,
- Even today my outcry is bitter;
his hand is hard on my sorrow.
- If only I had knowledge of where he might be seen, so that I might come even to his seat!
- I would put my cause in order before him, and my mouth would be full of arguments.
- I would see what his answers would be, and have knowledge of what he would say to me.
- Would he make use of his great power to overcome me?
No, but he would give attention to me.
- There an upright man might put his cause before him;
and I would be free for ever from my judge.
- See, I go forward, but he is not there;
and back, but I do not see him;
- I am looking for him on the left hand, but there is no sign of him;
and turning to the right, I am not able to see him.
- For he has knowledge of the way I take;
after I have been tested I will come out like gold.
- My feet have gone in his steps;
I have kept in his way, without turning to one side or to the other.
- I have never gone against the orders of his lips;
the words of his mouth have been stored up in my heart.
- But his purpose is fixed and there is no changing it;
and he gives effect to the desire of his soul.
- For what has been ordered for me by him will be gone through to the end: and his mind is full of such designs.
- For this cause I am in fear before him, my thoughts of him overcome me.
- For God has made my heart feeble, and my mind is troubled before the Ruler of all.
- For I am overcome by the dark, and by the black night which is covering my face.