- And the Lord made answer to Job out of the storm-wind, and said,
- Who is this who makes the purpose of God dark by words without knowledge?
- Get your strength together like a man of war;
I will put questions to you, and you will give me the answers.
- Where were you when I put the earth on its base?
Say, if you have knowledge.
- By whom were its measures fixed?
Say, if you have wisdom;
or by whom was the line stretched out over it?
- On what were its pillars based, or who put down its angle-stone,
- When the morning stars made songs together, and all the sons of the gods gave cries of joy?
- Or where were you when the sea came to birth, pushing out from its secret place;
- When I made the cloud its robe, and put thick clouds as bands round it,
- Ordering a fixed limit for it, with locks and doors;
- And said, So far you may come, and no farther;
and here the pride of your waves will be stopped?
- Have you, from your earliest days, given orders to the morning, or made the dawn conscious of its place;
- So that it might take a grip of the skirts of the earth, shaking all the evil-doers out of it?
- It is changed like wet earth under a stamp, and is coloured like a robe;
- And from the evil-doers their light is kept back, and the arm of pride is broken.
- Have you come into the springs of the sea, walking in the secret places of the deep?
- Have the doors of death been open to you, or have the door-keepers of the dark ever seen you?
- Have you taken note of the wide limits of the earth?
Say, if you have knowledge of it all.
- Which is the way to the resting-place of the light, and where is the store-house of the dark;
- So that you might take it to its limit, guiding it to its house?
- No doubt you have knowledge of it, for then you had come to birth, and the number of your days is great.
- Have you come into the secret place of snow, or have you seen the store-houses of the ice-drops,
- Which I have kept for the time of trouble, for the day of war and fighting?
- Which is the way to the place where the wind is measured out, and the east wind sent out over the earth?
- By whom has the way been cut for the flowing of the rain, and the flaming of the thunder;
- Causing rain to come on a land where no man is living, on the waste land which has no people;
- To give water to the land where there is waste and destruction, and to make the dry land green with young grass?
- Has the rain a father?
or who gave birth to the drops of night mist?
- Out of whose body came the ice?
and who gave birth to the cold mist of heaven?
- The waters are joined together, hard as a stone, and the face of the deep is covered.
- Are the bands of the Pleiades fixed by you, or are the cords of Orion made loose?
- Do you make Mazzaroth come out in its right time, or are the Bear and its children guided by you?
- Have you knowledge of the laws of the heavens?
did you give them rule over the earth?
- Is your voice sent up to the cloud, so that you may be covered by the weight of waters?
- Do you send out the thunder-flames, so that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?
- Who has put wisdom in the high clouds, or given knowledge to the lights of the north?
- By whose wisdom are the clouds numbered, or the water-skins of the heavens turned to the earth,
- When the earth becomes hard as metal, and is joined together in masses?