- Then the Lord made answer to Job out of the storm-wind, and said,
- Get your strength together like a man of war: I will put questions to you, and you will give me the answers.
- Will you even make my right of no value?
will you say that I am wrong in order to make clear that you are right?
- Have you an arm like God?
have you a voice of thunder like his?
- Put on the ornaments of your pride;
be clothed with glory and power:
- Let your wrath be overflowing;
let your eyes see all the sons of pride, and make them low.
- Send destruction on all who are lifted up, pulling down the sinners from their places.
- Let them be covered together in the dust;
let their faces be dark in the secret place of the underworld.
- Then I will give praise to you, saying that your right hand is able to give you salvation.
- See now the Great Beast, whom I made, even as I made you;
he takes grass for food, like the ox.
- His strength is in his body, and his force in the muscles of his stomach.
- His tail is curving like a cedar;
the muscles of his legs are joined together.
- His bones are pipes of brass, his legs are like rods of iron.
- He is the chief of the ways of God, made by him for his pleasure.
- He takes the produce of the mountains, where all the beasts of the field are at play.
- He takes his rest under the trees of the river, and in the pool, under the shade of the water-plants.
- He is covered by the branches of the trees;
the grasses of the stream are round him.
- Truly, if the river is overflowing, it gives him no cause for fear;
he has no sense of danger, even if Jordan is rushing against his mouth.
- Will anyone take him when he is on the watch, or put metal teeth through his nose?
- Is it possible for Leviathan to be pulled out with a fish-hook, or for a hook to be put through the bone of his mouth?
- Will you put a cord into his nose, or take him away with a cord round his tongue?
- Will he make prayers to you, or say soft words to you?
- Will he make an agreement with you, so that you may take him as a servant for ever?
- Will you make sport with him, as with a bird?
or put him in chains for your young women?
- Will the fishermen make profit out of him?
will they have him cut up for the traders?
- Will you put sharp-pointed irons into his skin, or fish-spears into his head?
- Only put your hand on him, and see what a fight you will have;
you will not do it again!
- Truly, the hope of his attacker is false;
he is overcome even on seeing him!