- Then Bildad the Shuhite made answer and said,
- How long will you say these things, and how long will the words of your mouth be like a strong wind?
- Does God give wrong decisions?
or is the Ruler of all not upright in his judging?
- If your children have done evil against him, then their punishment is from his hand.
- If you will make search for God with care, and put your request before the Ruler of all;
- If you are clean and upright;
then he will certainly be moved to take up your cause, and will make clear your righteousness by building up your house again.
- And though your start was small, your end will be very great.
- Put the question now to the past generations, and give attention to what has been searched out by their fathers:
- (For we are but of yesterday, and have no knowledge, because our days on earth are gone like a shade:)
- Will they not give you teaching, and say words of wisdom to you?
- Will the river-plant come up in its pride without wet earth?
will the grass get tall without water?
- When it is still green, without being cut down, it becomes dry and dead before any other plant.
- So is the end of all who do not keep God in mind;
and the hope of the evil-doer comes to nothing:
- Whose support is cut off, and whose hope is no stronger than a spider's thread.
- He is looking to his family for support, but it is not there;
he puts his hope in it, but it comes to nothing.
- He is full of strength before the sun, and his branches go out over his garden.
- His roots are twisted round the stones, forcing their way in between them.
- If he is taken away from his place, then it will say, I have not seen you.
- Such is the joy of his way, and out of the dust another comes up to take his place.
- Truly, God will not give up him who is without sin, and will not take evil-doers by the hand.
- The time will come when your mouth will be full of laughing, and cries of joy will come from your lips.
- Your haters will be clothed with shame, and the tent of the sinner will not be seen again.