- And the Lord made ready a great fish to take Jonah into its mouth;
and Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.
- Then Jonah made prayer to the Lord his God from the inside of the fish, and said,
- In my trouble I was crying to the Lord, and he gave me an answer;
out of the deepest underworld I sent up a cry, and you gave ear to my voice.
- For you have put me down into the deep, into the heart of the sea;
and the river was round about me;
all your waves and your rolling waters went over me.
- And I said, I have been sent away from before your eyes;
how may I ever again see your holy Temple?
- The waters were circling round me, even to the neck;
the deep was about me;
the sea-grass was twisted round my head.
- I went down to the bases of the mountains;
as for the earth, her walls were about me for ever: but you have taken up my life from the underworld, O Lord my God.
- When my soul in me was overcome, I kept the memory of the Lord: and my prayer came in to you, into your holy Temple.
- The worshippers of false gods have given up their only hope.
- But I will make an offering to you with the voice of praise;
I will give effect to my oaths.
Salvation is the Lord's.
- And at the Lord's order, the fish sent Jonah out of its mouth on to the dry land.