- See, I am sending my servant, and he will make ready the way before me;
and the Lord, whom you are looking for, will suddenly come to his Temple;
and the angel of the agreement, in whom you have delight, see, he is coming, says the Lord of armies.
- But by whom may the day of his coming be faced?
and who may keep his place when he is seen?
for he is like the metal-tester's fire and the cleaner's soap.
- He will take his seat, testing and cleaning the sons of Levi, burning away the evil from them as from gold and silver;
so that they may make offerings to the Lord in righteousness.
- Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord, as in days gone by, and as in past years.
- And I will come near to you for judging;
I will quickly be a witness against the wonder-workers, against those who have been untrue in married life, against those who take false oaths;
against those who keep back from the servant his payment, and who are hard on the widow and the child without a father, who do not give his rights to the man from a strange country, and have no fear of me, says the Lord of armies.
- For I am the Lord, I am unchanged;
and so you, O sons of Jacob, have not been cut off.
- From the days of your fathers you have been turned away from my rules and have not kept them.
Come back to me, and I will come back to you, says the Lord of armies.
But you say, How are we to come back?
- Will a man keep back from God what is right?
But you have kept back what is mine.
But you say, What have we kept back from you?
Tenths and offerings.
- You are cursed with a curse;
for you have kept back from me what is mine, even all this nation.
- Let your tenths come into the store-house so that there may be food in my house, and put me to the test by doing so, says the Lord of armies, and see if I do not make the windows of heaven open and send down such a blessing on you that there is no room for it.
- And on your account I will keep back the locusts from wasting the fruits of your land;
and the fruit of your vine will not be dropped on the field before its time, says the Lord of armies
- And you will be named happy by all nations: for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of armies.
- Your words have been strong against me, says the Lord.
And still you say, What have we said against you?
- You have said, It is no use worshipping God: what profit have we had from keeping his orders, and going in clothing of sorrow before the Lord of armies?
- And now to us the men of pride seem happy;
yes, the evil-doers are doing well;
they put God to the test and are safe.
- Then those in whom was the fear of the Lord had talk together: and the Lord gave ear, and it was recorded in a book to be kept in mind before him, for those who had the fear of the Lord and gave thought to his name.
- And they will be mine, says the Lord, in the day when I make them my special property;
and I will have mercy on them as a man has mercy on his son who is his servant.
- Then you will again see how the upright man is different from the sinner, and the servant of God from him who is not.