- The book of the generations of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- The son of Abraham was Isaac;
and the son of Isaac was Jacob;
and the sons of Jacob were Judah and his brothers;
- And the sons of Judah were Perez and Zerah by Tamar;
and the son of Perez was Hezron;
and the son of Hezron was Ram;
- And the son of Ram was Amminadab;
and the son of Amminadab was Nahshon;
and the son of Nahshon was Salmon;
- And the son of Salmon by Rahab was Boaz;
and the son of Boaz by Ruth was Obed;
and the son of Obed was Jesse;
- And the son of Jesse was David the king;
and the son of David was Solomon by her who had been the wife of Uriah;
- And the son of Solomon was Rehoboam;
and the son of Rehoboam was Abijah;
and the son of Abijah was Asa;
- And the son of Asa was Jehoshaphat;
and the son of Jehoshaphat was Joram;
and the son of Joram was Uzziah;
- And the son of Uzziah was Jotham;
and the son of Jotham was Ahaz;
and the son of Ahaz was Hezekiah;
- And the son of Hezekiah was Manasseh;
and the son of Manasseh was Amon;
and the son of Amon was Josiah;
- And the sons of Josiah were Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the taking away to Babylon.
- And after the taking away to Babylon, Jechoniah had a son Shealtiel;
and Shealtiel had Zerubbabel;
- And Zerubbabel had Abiud;
and Abiud had Eliakim;
and Eliakim had Azor;
- And Azor had Zadok;
and Zadok had Achim;
and Achim had Eliud;
- And Eliud had Eleazar;
and Eleazar had Matthan;
and Matthan had Jacob;
- And the son of Jacob was Joseph the husband of Mary, who gave birth to Jesus, whose name is Christ.
- So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations;
and from David to the taking away to Babylon, fourteen generations;
and from the taking away to Babylon to the coming of Christ, fourteen generations.
- Now the birth of Jesus Christ was in this way: when his mother Mary was going to be married to Joseph, before they came together the discovery was made that she was with child by the Holy Spirit.
- And Joseph, her husband, being an upright man, and not desiring to make her a public example, had a mind to put her away privately.
- But when he was giving thought to these things, an angel of the Lord came to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, son of David, have no fear of taking Mary as your wife;
because that which is in her body is of the Holy Spirit.
- And she will give birth to a son;
and you will give him the name Jesus;
for he will give his people salvation from their sins.
- Now all this took place so that the word of the Lord by the prophet might come true,
- See, the virgin will be with child, and will give birth to a son, and they will give him the name Immanuel, that is, God with us.
- And Joseph did as the angel of the Lord had said to him, and took her as his wife;
- And he had no connection with her till she had given birth to a son;
and he gave him the name Jesus.