- And in those days John the Baptist came preaching in the waste land of Judaea,
- Saying, Let your hearts be turned from sin;
for the kingdom of heaven is near.
- For this is he of whom Isaiah the prophet said, The voice of one crying in the waste land, Make ready the way of the Lord, make his roads straight.
- Now John was clothed in camel's hair, with a leather band about him;
and his food was locusts and honey.
- Then Jerusalem and all Judaea went out to him, and all the people from near Jordan;
- And they were given baptism by him in the river Jordan, saying openly that they had done wrong.
- But when he saw a number of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, Offspring of snakes, at whose word are you going in flight from the wrath to come?
- Let your change of heart be seen in your works:
- And say not to yourselves, We have Abraham for our father;
because I say to you that God is able from these stones to make children for Abraham.
- And even now the axe is put to the root of the trees;
every tree then which does not give good fruit is cut down, and put into the fire.
- Truly, I give baptism with water to those of you whose hearts are changed;
but he who comes after me is greater than I, whose shoes I am not good enough to take up: he will give you baptism with the Holy Spirit and with fire:
- In whose hand is the instrument with which he will make clean his grain;
he will put the good grain in his store, but the waste will be burned up in the fire which will never be put out.
- Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be given baptism by him.
- But John would have kept him back, saying, It is I who have need of baptism from you, and do you come to me?
- But Jesus made answer, saying to him, Let it be so now: because so it is right for us to make righteousness complete.
Then he gave him baptism.
- And Jesus, having been given baptism, straight away went up from the water;
and, the heavens opening, he saw the Spirit of God coming down on him as a dove;
- And a voice came out of heaven, saying, This is my dearly loved Son, with whom I am well pleased.