- See on the mountains the feet of him who comes with good news, giving word of peace!
Keep your feasts, O Judah, give effect to your oaths: for the good-for-nothing man will never again go through you;
he is completely cut off.
- A crusher has come up before your face: keep a good look-out, let the way be watched, make yourself strong, let your power be greatly increased.
- For the Lord will make good the vine of Jacob, as well as the vine of Israel: for the wasters have made them waste and sent destruction on the branches of their vine.
- The body-covers of his fighting men have been made red, the men of war are clothed in bright red: the war-carriages are like flames of fire in the day when he gets ready, the horses are shaking.
- The war-carriages are rushing through the streets, pushing against one another in the wide ways, looking like burning lights, running like thunder-flames.
- He takes the record of his great men: they go falling on their way;
they go quickly to the wall, the cover is made ready.
- The river doorways are forced open, and the king's house is flowing away.
- And the queen is uncovered, she is taken away and her servant-girls are weeping like the sound of doves, hammering on their breasts.
- But Nineveh is like a pool of water whose waters are flowing away;
Keep your place, they say;
but no one is turning back.
- Take silver, take gold;
for there is no end to the store;
take for yourselves a weight of things to be desired.
- Everything has been taken from her, all is gone, she has nothing more: the heart is turned to water, the knees are shaking, all are twisted in pain, and colour has gone from all faces.
- Where is the lions' hole, the place where the young lions got their food, where the lion and the she-lion were walking with their young, without cause for fear?
- Food enough for his young and for his she-lions was pulled down by the lion;
his hole was full of flesh and his resting-place stored with meat.
- See, I am against you, says the Lord of armies, and I will have your war-carriages burned in the smoke, and your young lions will be food for the sword: you will no longer get your food by force on the earth, and the voice of your she-lions will be stopped for ever.