- And the Lord said to Moses,
- Make two silver horns of hammered work, to be used for getting the people together and to give the sign for the moving of the tents.
- When they are sounded, all the people are to come together to you at the door of the Tent of meeting.
- If only one of them is sounded, then the chiefs, the heads of the thousands of Israel, are to come to you.
- When a loud note is sounded, the tents placed on the east side are to go forward.
- At the sound of a second loud note, the tents on the south side are to go forward: the loud note will be the sign to go forward.
- But when all the people are to come together, the horn is to be sounded but not loudly.
- The horns are to be sounded by the sons of Aaron, the priests;
this is to be a law for you for ever, from generation to generation.
- And if you go to war in your land against any who do you wrong, then let the loud note of the horn be sounded;
and the Lord your God will keep you in mind and give you salvation from those who are against you.
- And on days of joy and on your regular feasts and on the first day of every month, let the horns be sounded over your burned offerings and your peace-offerings;
and they will put the Lord in mind of you: I am the Lord your God.
- Now in the second year, on the twentieth day of the second month, the cloud was taken up from over the Tent of witness.
- And the children of Israel went on their journey out of the waste land of Sinai;
and the cloud came to rest in the waste land of Paran.
- They went forward for the first time on their journey as the Lord had given orders by the hand of Moses.
- First the flag of the children of Judah went forward with their armies: and at the head of his army was Nahshon, the son of Amminadab.
- And at the head of the army of the children of Issachar was Nethanel, the son of Zuar.
- And at the head of the army of the children of Zebulun was Eliab, the son of Helon.
- Then the House was taken down;
and the sons of Gershon and the sons of Merari, who were responsible for moving the House, went forward.
- Then the flag of the children of Reuben went forward with their armies: and at the head of his army was Elizur, the son of Shedeur.
- And at the head of the army of the children of Simeon was Shelumiel, the son of Zurishaddai.
- At the head of the army of the children of Gad was Eliasaph, the son of Reuel.
- Then the Kohathites went forward with the holy place;
the others put up the House ready for their coming.
- Then the flag of the children of Ephraim went forward with their armies: and at the head of his army was Elishama, the son of Ammihud.
- At the head of the army of the children of Manasseh was Gamaliel, the son of Pedahzur.
- At the head of the army of the children of Benjamin was Abidan, the son of Gideoni.
- And the flag of the children of Dan, whose tents were moved last of all, went forward with their armies: and at the head of his army was Ahiezer, the son of Ammishaddai.
- At the head of the army of the children of Asher was Pagiel, the son of Ochran.
- And at the head of the army of the children of Naphtali was Ahira, the son of Enan.
- This was the order in which the children of Israel were journeying by armies;
so they went forward.
- Then Moses said to Hobab, the son of his father-in-law Reuel the Midianite, We are journeying to that place of which the Lord has said, I will give it to you: so come with us, and it will be for your profit: for the Lord has good things in store for Israel.
- But he said, I will not go with you, I will go back to the land of my birth and to my relations.
- And he said, Do not go from us;
for you will be eyes for us, guiding us to the right places in the waste land to put up our tents.
- And if you come with us, we will give you a part in whatever good the Lord does for us.
- So they went forward three days' journey from the mountain of the Lord;
and the ark of the Lord's agreement went three days' journey before them, looking for a resting-place for them;
- And by day the cloud of the Lord went over them, when they went forward from the place where they had put up their tents.
- And when the ark went forward Moses said, Come up, O Lord, and let the armies of those who are against you be broken, and let your haters go in flight before you.
- And when it came to rest, he said, Take rest, O Lord, and give a blessing to the families of Israel.