- And the Lord said to Moses,
- Say to the children of Israel that they are to give you rods, one for every family, for every chief, the head of his father's house, making twelve rods;
let every man's name be placed on his rod.
- And let Aaron's name be placed on the rod of Levi: for there is to be one rod for the head of every family.
- And let them be stored up in the Tent of meeting, in front of the ark of witness where I come to you.
- And the rod of that man who is marked out by me for myself will have buds on it;
so I will put a stop to the outcries which the children of Israel make to me against you.
- So Moses gave these orders to the children of Israel, and all their chiefs gave him rods, one for the head of every family, making twelve rods: and Aaron's rod was among them.
- And Moses put the rods before the Lord in the Tent of witness.
- Now on the day after, Moses went into the Tent of witness;
and he saw that Aaron's rod, the rod of the house of Levi, had put out buds, and was covered with buds and flowers and fruit.
- Then Moses took out all the rods from before the Lord, and gave them back to the children of Israel: and they saw them, and every man took his rod.
- And the Lord said to Moses, Put Aaron's rod back in front of the ark of witness, to be kept for a sign against this false-hearted people, so that you may put a stop to their outcries against me, and death may not overtake them.
- This Moses did: as the Lord gave orders, so he did.
- And the children of Israel said to Moses, Truly, destruction has come on us;
an evil fate has overtaken us all.
- Death will overtake everyone who comes near, who comes near the House of the Lord: are we all to come to destruction?