- The wise sayings of Solomon, the son of David, king of Israel.
- To have knowledge of wise teaching;
to be clear about the words of reason:
- To be trained in the ways of wisdom, in righteousness and judging truly and straight behaviour:
- To make the simple-minded sharp, and to give the young man knowledge, and serious purpose:
- (The wise man, hearing, will get greater learning, and the acts of the man of good sense will be wisely guided:)
- To get the sense of wise sayings and secrets, and of the words of the wise and their dark sayings.
- The fear of the Lord is the start of knowledge: but the foolish have no use for wisdom and teaching.
- My son, give ear to the training of your father, and do not give up the teaching of your mother:
- For they will be a crown of grace for your head, and chain-ornaments about your neck.
- My son, if sinners would take you out of the right way, do not go with them.
- If they say, Come with us;
let us make designs against the good, waiting secretly for the upright, without cause;
- Let us overcome them living, like the underworld, and in their strength, as those who go down to death;
- Goods of great price will be ours, our houses will be full of wealth;
- Take your chance with us, and we will all have one money-bag:
- My son, do not go with them;
keep your feet from their ways:
- For their feet are running after evil, and they are quick to take a man's life.
- Truly, to no purpose is the net stretched out before the eyes of the bird:
- And they are secretly waiting for their blood and making ready destruction for themselves.
- Such is the fate of everyone who goes in search of profit;
it takes away the life of its owners.
- Wisdom is crying out in the street;
her voice is loud in the open places;
- Her words are sounding in the meeting-places, and in the doorways of the town:
- How long, you simple ones, will foolish things be dear to you?
and pride a delight to the haters of authority?
how long will the foolish go on hating knowledge?
- Be turned again by my sharp words: see, I will send the flow of my spirit on you, and make my words clear to you.
- Because your ears were shut to my voice;
no one gave attention to my out-stretched hand;
- You were not controlled by my guiding, and would have nothing to do with my sharp words:
- So in the day of your trouble I will be laughing;
I will make sport of your fear;
- When your fear comes on you like a storm, and your trouble like a rushing wind;
when pain and sorrow come on you.
- Then I will give no answer to their cries;
searching for me early, they will not see me:
- For they were haters of knowledge, and did not give their hearts to the fear of the Lord:
- They had no desire for my teaching, and my words of protest were as nothing to them.
- So the fruit of their way will be their food, and with the designs of their hearts they will be made full.
- For the turning back of the simple from teaching will be the cause of their death, and the peace of the foolish will be their destruction.
- But whoever gives ear to me will take his rest safely, living in peace without fear of evil.