- Give ear, my sons, to the teaching of a father;
give attention so that you may have knowledge:
- For I give you good teaching;
do not give up the knowledge you are getting from me.
- For I was a son to my father, a gentle and an only one to my mother.
- And he gave me teaching, saying to me, Keep my words in your heart;
keep my rules so that you may have life:
- Get wisdom, get true knowledge;
keep it in memory, do not be turned away from the words of my mouth.
- Do not give her up, and she will keep you;
give her your love, and she will make you safe.
- The first sign of wisdom is to get wisdom;
go, give all you have to get true knowledge.
- Put her in a high place, and you will be lifted up by her;
she will give you honour, when you give her your love.
- She will put a crown of grace on your head, giving you a head-dress of glory.
- Give ear, O my son, and let your heart be open to my sayings;
and long life will be yours.
- I have given you teaching in the way of wisdom, guiding your steps in the straight way.
- When you go, your way will not be narrow, and in running you will not have a fall.
- Take learning in your hands, do not let her go: keep her, for she is your life.
- Do not go in the road of sinners, or be walking in the way of evil men.
- Keep far from it, do not go near;
be turned from it, and go on your way.
- For they take no rest till they have done evil;
their sleep is taken away if they have not been the cause of someone's fall.
- The bread of evil-doing is their food, the wine of violent acts their drink.
- But the way of the upright is like the light of early morning, getting brighter and brighter till the full day.
- The way of sinners is dark;
they see not the cause of their fall.
- My son, give attention to my words;
let your ear be turned to my sayings.
- Let them not go from your eyes;
keep them deep in your heart.
- For they are life to him who gets them, and strength to all his flesh.
- And keep watch over your heart with all care;
so you will have life.
- Put away from you an evil tongue, and let false lips be far from you.
- Keep your eyes on what is in front of you, looking straight before you.
- Keep a watch on your behaviour;
let all your ways be rightly ordered.
- Let there be no turning to the right or to the left, keep your feet from evil.