- My son, keep my sayings, and let my rules be stored up with you.
- Keep my rules and you will have life;
let my teaching be to you as the light of your eyes;
- Let them be fixed to your fingers, and recorded in your heart.
- Say to wisdom, You are my sister;
let knowledge be named your special friend:
- So that they may keep you from the strange woman, even from her whose words are smooth.
- Looking out from my house, and watching through the window,
- I saw among the young men one without sense,
- Walking in the street near the turn of her road, going on the way to her house,
- At nightfall, in the evening of the day, in the black dark of the night.
- And the woman came out to him, in the dress of a loose woman, with a designing heart;
- She is full of noise and uncontrolled;
her feet keep not in her house.
- Now she is in the street, now in the open spaces, waiting at every turning of the road.
- So she took him by his hand, kissing him, and without a sign of shame she said to him:
- I have a feast of peace-offerings, for today my oaths have been effected.
- So I came out in the hope of meeting you, looking for you with care, and now I have you.
- My bed is covered with cushions of needlework, with coloured cloths of the cotton thread of Egypt;
- I have made my bed sweet with perfumes and spices.
- Come, let us take our pleasure in love till the morning, having joy in love's delights.
- For the master of the house is away on a long journey:
- He has taken a bag of money with him;
he is coming back at the full moon.
- With her fair words she overcame him, forcing him with her smooth lips.
- The simple man goes after her, like an ox going to its death, like a roe pulled by a cord;
- Like a bird falling into a net;
with no thought that his life is in danger, till an arrow goes into his side.
- So now, my sons, give ear to me;
give attention to the sayings of my mouth;
- Let not your heart be turned to her ways, do not go wandering in her footsteps.
- For those wounded and made low by her are great in number;
and all those who have come to their death through her are a great army.
- Her house is the way to the underworld, going down to the rooms of death.