- Is not wisdom crying out, and the voice of knowledge sounding?
- At the top of the highways, at the meeting of the roads, she takes her place;
- Where the roads go into the town her cry goes out, at the doorways her voice is loud:
- I am crying out to you, O men;
my voice comes to the sons of men.
- Become expert in reason, O you simple ones;
you foolish ones, take training to heart.
- Give ear, for my words are true, and my lips are open to give out what is upright.
- For good faith goes out of my mouth, and false lips are disgusting to me.
- All the words of my mouth are righteousness;
there is nothing false or twisted in them.
- They are all true to him whose mind is awake, and straightforward to those who get knowledge.
- Take my teaching, and not silver;
get knowledge in place of the best gold.
- For wisdom is better than jewels, and all things which may be desired are nothing in comparison with her.
- I, wisdom, have made wise behaviour my near relation;
I am seen to be the special friend of wise purposes.
- The fear of the Lord is seen in hating evil: pride, a high opinion of oneself, the evil way, and the false tongue, are unpleasing to me.
- Wise design and good sense are mine;
reason and strength are mine.
- Through me kings have their power, and rulers give right decisions.
- Through me chiefs have authority, and the noble ones are judging in righteousness.
- Those who have given me their love are loved by me, and those who make search for me with care will get me.
- Wealth and honour are in my hands, even wealth without equal and righteousness.
- My fruit is better than gold, even than the best gold;
and my increase is more to be desired than silver.
- I go in the road of righteousness, in the way of right judging:
- So that I may give my lovers wealth for their heritage, making their store-houses full.
- The Lord made me as the start of his way, the first of his works in the past.
- From eternal days I was given my place, from the birth of time, before the earth was.
- When there was no deep I was given birth, when there were no fountains flowing with water.
- Before the mountains were put in their places, before the hills was my birth:
- When he had not made the earth or the fields or the dust of the world.
- When he made ready the heavens I was there: when he put an arch over the face of the deep:
- When he made strong the skies overhead: when the fountains of the deep were fixed:
- When he put a limit to the sea, so that the waters might not go against his word: when he put in position the bases of the earth:
- Then I was by his side, as a master workman: and I was his delight from day to day, playing before him at all times;
- Playing in his earth;
and my delight was with the sons of men.
- Give ear to me then, my sons: for happy are those who keep my ways.
- Take my teaching and be wise;
do not let it go.
- Happy is the man who gives ear to me, watching at my doors day by day, keeping his place by the pillars of my house.
- For whoever gets me gets life, and grace from the Lord will come to him.
- But he who does evil to me, does wrong to his soul: all my haters are in love with death.