- <To the chief music-maker.
God of my praise, let my prayer be answered;
- For the mouth of the sinner is open against me in deceit: his tongue has said false things against me.
- Words of hate are round about me;
they have made war against me without cause.
- For my love they give me back hate;
but I have given myself to prayer.
- They have put on me evil for good;
hate in exchange for my love.
- Put an evil man over him;
and let one be placed at his right hand to say evil of him.
- When he is judged, let the decision go against him;
and may his prayer become sin.
- Let his life be short;
let another take his position of authority.
- Let his children have no father, and his wife be made a widow.
- Let his children be wanderers, looking to others for their food;
let them be sent away from the company of their friends.
- Let his creditor take all his goods;
and let others have the profit of his work.
- Let no man have pity on him, or give help to his children when he is dead.
- Let his seed be cut off;
in the coming generation let their name go out of memory.
- Let the Lord keep in mind the wrongdoing of his fathers;
and may the sin of his mother have no forgiveness.
- Let them be ever before the eyes of the Lord, so that the memory of them may be cut off from the earth.
- Because he had no mercy, but was cruel to the low and the poor, designing the death of the broken-hearted.
- As he took pleasure in cursing, so let it come on him;
and as he had no delight in blessing, let it be far from him.
- He put on cursing like a robe, and it has come into his body like water, and into his bones like oil.
- Let it be to him as a robe which he puts on, let it be like a band which is round him at all times.
- Let this be the reward given to my haters from the Lord, and to those who say evil of my soul.
- But, O Lord God, give me your help, because of your name;
take me out of danger, because your mercy is good.
- For I am poor and in need, and my heart is wounded in me.
- I am gone like the shade when it is stretched out: I am forced out of my place like a locust.
- My knees are feeble for need of food;
there is no fat on my bones.
- As for me, they make sport of me;
shaking their heads when they see me.
- Give me help, O Lord my God;
in your mercy be my saviour;
- So that they may see that it is the work of your hand;
that you, Lord, have done it.
- They may give curses but you give blessing;
when they come up against me, put them to shame;
but let your servant be glad.
- Let my haters be clothed with shame, covering themselves with shame as with a robe.
- I will give the Lord great praise with my mouth;
yes, I will give praise to him among all the people.
- For he is ever at the right hand of the poor, to take him out of the hands of those who go after his soul.