- <To the chief music-maker.
Will you for ever put me out of your memory, O Lord?
will your face for ever be turned away from me?
- How long is my soul to be in doubt, with sorrow in my heart all the day?
how long will he who is against me be given power over me?
- Let my voice come before you, and give me an answer, O Lord my God;
let your light be shining on me, so that the sleep of death may not overtake me;
- And he who is against me may not say, I have overcome him;
and those who are troubling me may not be glad when I am moved.
- But I have had faith in your mercy;
my heart will be glad in your salvation.
- I will make a song to the Lord, because he has given me my reward.