- <To the chief music-maker.
O Lord, you have knowledge of me, searching out all my secrets.
- You have knowledge when I am seated and when I get up, you see my thoughts from far away.
- You keep watch over my steps and my sleep, and have knowledge of all my ways.
- For there is not a word on my tongue which is not clear to you, O Lord.
- I am shut in by you on every side, and you have put your hand on me.
- Such knowledge is a wonder greater than my powers;
it is so high that I may not come near it.
- Where may I go from your spirit?
how may I go in flight from you?
- If I go up to heaven, you are there: or if I make my bed in the underworld, you are there.
- If I take the wings of the morning, and go to the farthest parts of the sea;
- Even there will I be guided by your hand, and your right hand will keep me.
- If I say, Only let me be covered by the dark, and the light about me be night;
- Even the dark is not dark to you;
the night is as bright as the day: for dark and light are the same to you.
- My flesh was made by you, and my parts joined together in my mother's body.
- I will give you praise, for I am strangely and delicately formed;
your works are great wonders, and of this my soul is fully conscious.
- My frame was not unseen by you when I was made secretly, and strangely formed in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book all my days were recorded, even those which were purposed before they had come into being.
- How dear are your thoughts to me, O God!
how great is the number of them!
- If I made up their number, it would be more than the grains of sand;
when I am awake, I am still with you.
- If only you would put the sinners to death, O God;
go far from me, you men of blood.
- For they go against you with evil designs, and your haters make sport of your name.
- Are not your haters hated by me, O Lord?
are not those who are lifted up against you a cause of grief to me?
- My hate for them is complete;
my thoughts of them are as if they were making war on me.
- O God, let the secrets of my heart be uncovered, and let my wandering thoughts be tested:
- See if there is any way of sorrow in me, and be my guide in the eternal way.