- <To the chief music-maker.
O Lord, take me out of the power of the evil man;
keep me safe from the violent man:
- For their hearts are full of evil designs;
and they are ever making ready causes of war.
- Their tongues are sharp like the tongue of a snake;
the poison of snakes is under their lips.
- O Lord, take me out of the hands of sinners;
keep me safe from the violent man: for they are designing my downfall.
- The men of pride have put secret cords for my feet;
stretching nets in my way, so that they may take me with their tricks.
- I have said to the Lord, You are my God: give ear, O Lord, to the voice of my prayer.
- O Lord God, the strength of my salvation, you have been a cover over my head in the day of the fight.
- O Lord, give not the wrongdoer his desire;
give him no help in his evil designs, or he may be uplifted in pride.
- As for those who come round me, let their heads be covered by the evil of their lips.
- Let burning flames come down on them: let them be put into the fire, and into deep waters, so that they may not get up again.
- Let not a man of evil tongue be safe on earth: let destruction overtake the violent man with blow on blow.
- I am certain that the Lord will take care of the cause of the poor, and of the rights of those who are troubled.
- Truly, the upright will give praise to your name: the holy will have a place in your house.