- <A Psalm.
To keep in memory.>
O Lord, be not bitter with me in your wrath;
let not your hand be on me in the heat of your passion.
- For your arrows have gone into my flesh, and I am crushed under the weight of your hand.
- My flesh is wasted because of your wrath;
and there is no peace in my bones because of my sin.
- For my crimes have gone over my head;
they are like a great weight which is more than my strength.
- My wounds are poisoned and evil-smelling, because of my foolish behaviour.
- I am troubled, I am made low;
I go weeping all the day.
- For my body is full of burning;
all my flesh is unhealthy.
- I am feeble and crushed down;
I gave a cry like a lion because of the grief in my heart.
- Lord, all my desire is before you;
my sorrow is not kept secret from you.
- My heart goes out in pain, my strength is wasting away;
as for the light of my eyes, it is gone from me.
- My lovers and my friends keep away from my disease;
my relations keep far away.
- Those who have a desire to take my life put nets for me;
those who are designing my destruction say evil things against me, all the day their minds are full of deceit.
- But I kept my ears shut like a man without hearing;
like a man without a voice, never opening his mouth.
- So I was like a man whose ears are shut, and in whose mouth there are no sharp words.
- In you, O Lord, is my hope: you will give me an answer, O Lord, my God.
- I said, Let them not be glad over me;
when my foot is moved, let them not be lifted up with pride against me.
- My feet are near to falling, and my sorrow is ever before me.
- I will make clear my wrongdoing, with sorrow in my heart for my sin.
- But they are strong who have hate for me without cause: those who are against me falsely are increased in numbers.
- They give me back evil for good;
they are my haters because I go after the thing which is right.
- Do not give me up, O Lord;
O my God, be near to me.
- Come quickly to give me help, O Lord, my salvation.