- <To the chief music-maker.
When I was waiting quietly for the Lord, his heart was turned to me, and he gave ear to my cry.
- He took me up out of a deep waste place, out of the soft and sticky earth;
he put my feet on a rock, and made my steps certain.
- And he put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God;
numbers have seen it with fear, and put their faith in the Lord.
- Happy is the man who has faith in the Lord, and does not give honour to the men of pride or to those who are turned away to deceit.
- O Lord my God, great are the wonders which you have done in your thought for us;
it is not possible to put them out in order before you;
when I would give an account of them, their number is greater than I may say.
- You had no desire for offerings of beasts or fruits of the earth;
ears you made for me: for burned offerings and sin offerings you made no request.
- Then I said, See, I come;
it is recorded of me in the roll of the book,
- My delight is to do your pleasure, O my God;
truly, your law is in my heart.
- I have given news of righteousness in the great meeting;
O Lord, you have knowledge that I have not kept back my words.
- Your righteousness has not been folded away in my heart;
I have made clear your true word and your salvation;
I have not kept secret your mercy or your faith from the great meeting.
- Take not away your gentle mercies from me, O Lord;
let your mercy and your faith keep me safe for ever.
- For unnumbered evils are round about me;
my sins have overtaken me, so that I am bent down with their weight;
they are more than the hairs of my head, my strength is gone because of them.
- Be pleased, O Lord, to take me out of danger;
O Lord, come quickly and give me help.
- Let those who go after my soul for its destruction have shame and trouble together;
let them be turned back and made foolish who take pleasure in my trouble.
- Let those who say to me, Aha, aha!
be surprised because of their shame.
- Let all those who are looking for you be glad and have joy in you;
let the lovers of your salvation ever say, May the Lord be great.
- Though I am poor and in need, the Lord has me in mind;
you are my help and my saviour;
let there be no waiting, O my God.