- <To the chief music-maker.
Of the sons of Korah Maschil.>
It has come to our ears, O God, our fathers have given us the story, of the works which you did in their days, in the old times,
- Uprooting the nations with your hand, and planting our fathers in their place;
cutting down the nations, but increasing the growth of your people.
- For they did not make the land theirs by their swords, and it was not their arms which kept them safe;
but your right hand, and your arm, and the light of your face, because you had pleasure in them.
- You are my King and my God;
ordering salvation for Jacob.
- Through you will we overcome our haters;
by your name will they be crushed under our feet who are violent against us.
- I will not put faith in my bow, my sword will not be my salvation.
- But it is you who have been our saviour from those who were against us, and have put to shame those who had hate for us.
- Our pride is in God at all times, to his name we give praise for ever.
- But now you have sent us away from you, and put us to shame;
you do not go out with our armies.
- Because of this we are turned back by the attacker: those who have hate for us take our goods for themselves.
- You have made us like sheep which are taken for meat;
we are put to flight among the nations.
- You let your people go for nothing;
your wealth is not increased by their price.
- You have made us to be looked down on by our neighbours, we are laughed at and shamed by those who are round about us.
- Our name is a word of shame among the nations, a sign for the shaking of heads among the peoples.
- My downfall is ever before me, and I am covered with the shame of my face;
- Because of the voice of him who says sharp and bitter words;
because of the hater and him who is the instrument of punishment.
- All this has come on us, but still we have kept you in our memory;
and we have not been false to your word.
- Our hearts have not gone back, and our steps have not been turned out of your way;
- Though you have let us be crushed in the place of jackals, though we are covered with darkest shade.
- If the name of our God has gone out of our minds, or if our hands have been stretched out to a strange god,
- Will not God make search for it?
for he sees the secrets of the heart.
- Truly, because of you we are put to death every day;
we are numbered like sheep for destruction.
- Why are you sleeping, O Lord?
and come to our help, do not give us up for ever.
- Why is your face covered, and why do you give no thought to our trouble and our cruel fate?
- For our souls are crushed down to the dust: our bodies are stretched out on the earth.
and come to our help, and give us salvation because of your mercy.