- <A Psalm.
The God of gods, even the Lord, has sent out his voice, and the earth is full of fear;
from the coming up of the sun to its going down.
- From Zion, most beautiful of places, God has sent out his light.
- Our God will come, and will not keep quiet;
with fire burning before him, and storm-winds round him.
- His voice will go out to the heavens and to the earth, for the judging of his people:
- Let my saints come together to me;
those who have made an agreement with me by offerings.
- And let the heavens make clear his righteousness;
for God himself is the judge.
- Give ear, O my people, to my words;
O Israel, I will be a witness against you;
I am God, even your God.
- I will not take up a cause against you because of your offerings, or because of your burned offerings, which are ever before me.
- I will take no ox out of your house, or he-goats from your flocks;
- For every beast of the woodland is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.
- I see all the birds of the mountains, and the beasts of the field are mine.
- If I had need of food, I would not give you word of it;
for the earth is mine and all its wealth.
- Am I to take the flesh of the ox for my food, or the blood of goats for my drink?
- Make an offering of praise to God;
keep the agreements which you have made with the Most High;
- Let your voice come up to me in the day of trouble;
I will be your saviour, so that you may give glory to me.
- But to the sinner, God says, What are you doing, talking of my laws, or taking the words of my agreement in your mouth?
- Seeing that you have no desire for my teaching, turning your back on my words.
- When you saw a thief, you were in agreement with him, and you were joined with those who took other men's wives.
- You have given your mouth to evil, your tongue to words of deceit.
- You say evil of your brother;
you make false statements against your mother's son.
- These things have you done, and I said nothing;
it seemed to you that I was such a one as yourself;
but I will make a protest against you, and put them in order before your eyes.
- Now keep this in mind, you who have no memory of God, for fear that you may be crushed under my hand, with no one to give you help:
- Whoever makes an offering of praise gives glory to me;
and to him who is upright in his ways I will make clear the salvation of God.