- <To the chief music-maker.
When Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bath-sheba.>
Have pity on me, O God, in your mercy;
out of a full heart, take away my sin.
- Let all my wrongdoing be washed away, and make me clean from evil.
- For I am conscious of my error;
my sin is ever before me.
- Against you, you only, have I done wrong, working that which is evil in your eyes;
so that your words may be seen to be right, and you may be clear when you are judging.
- Truly, I was formed in evil, and in sin did my mother give me birth.
- Your desire is for what is true in the inner parts: in the secrets of my soul you will give me knowledge of wisdom.
- Make me free from sin with hyssop: let me be washed whiter than snow.
- Make me full of joy and rapture;
so that the bones which have been broken may be glad.
- Let your face be turned from my wrongdoing, and take away all my sins.
- Make a clean heart in me, O God;
give me a right spirit again.
- Do not put me away from before you, or take your holy spirit from me.
- Give me back the joy of your salvation;
let a free spirit be my support.
- Then will I make your ways clear to wrongdoers;
and sinners will be turned to you.
- Be my saviour from violent death, O God, the God of my salvation;
and my tongue will give praise to your righteousness.
- O Lord, let my lips be open, so that my mouth may make clear your praise.
- You have no desire for an offering or I would give it;
you have no delight in burned offerings.
- The offerings of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and sorrowing heart, O God, you will not put from you.
- Do good to Zion in your good pleasure, building up the walls of Jerusalem.
- Then you will have delight in the offerings of righteousness, in burned offerings and offerings of beasts;
then they will make offerings of oxen on your altar.