- <To the chief music-maker, on Neginoth.
Give hearing to my prayer, O God;
and let not your ear be shut against my request.
- Give thought to me, and let my prayer be answered: I have been made low in sorrow;
- I am troubled because of the voice of the cruel ones, because of the loud cry of the evil-doers;
for they put a weight of evil on me, and they are cruel in their hate for me.
- My heart is deeply wounded, and the fear of death has come on me.
- Fear and shaking have come over me, with deep fear I am covered.
- And I said, If only I had wings like a dove!
for then I would go in flight from here and be at rest.
- I would go wandering far away, living in the waste land.
- I would quickly take cover from the driving storm and from the violent wind.
- Send destruction on them, O Lord, make a division of tongues among them: for I have seen fighting and violent acts in the town.
- By day and night they go round the town, on the walls;
trouble and sorrow are in the heart of it.
- Evil is there;
cruel rule and deceit are ever in the streets.
- For it was not my hater who said evil of me;
that would have been no grief to me;
it was not one outside the number of my friends who made himself strong against me, or I would have kept myself from him in a secret place;
- But it was you, my equal, my guide, my well-loved friend.
- We had loving talk together, and went to the house of God in company.
- Let the hand of death come on them suddenly, and let them go down living into the underworld;
because evil is in their houses and in their hearts.
- As for me, I will make my prayer to God, and he will be my saviour.
- In the evening and in the morning and in the middle of the day I will make my prayer with sounds of grief;
and my voice will come to his ears.
- He has taken my soul away from the attack which was made against me, and given it peace;
for great numbers were against me.
- God will give thought to me;
he who from early times is strong will send pain and trouble on them.
(Selah.) Because they are unchanged, they have no fear of God.
- He has put out his hand against those who were at peace with him;
he has not kept his agreement.
- The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart;
his words were softer than oil, but they were sharp swords.
- Put your cares on the Lord, and he will be your support;
he will not let the upright man be moved.
- But you, O God, will send them down into the underworld;
the cruel and the false will be cut off before half their days are ended;
but I will have faith in you.