- <To the chief music-maker;
put to Al-tashheth.
When he went in flight from Saul, in the hole of the rock.>
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me;
for the hope of my soul is in you: I will keep myself safely under the shade of your wings, till these troubles are past.
- I will send up my cry to the Most High God;
to God who does all things for me.
- He will send from heaven, and take me from the power of him whose desire is for my destruction.
God will send out his mercy and his good faith.
- My soul is among lions;
I am stretched out among those who are on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and whose tongue is a sharp sword.
- O God, be lifted up higher than the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.
- They have made ready a net for my steps;
my soul is bent down;
they have made a great hole before me, and have gone down into it themselves.
- My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;
I will make songs, and give praise.
- You are my glory;
let the instruments of music be awake;
I myself will be awake with the dawn.
- I will give you praise, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will make songs to you among the nations.
- For your mercy is great, stretching up to the heavens, and your righteousness goes up to the clouds.
- Be lifted up, O God, higher than the heavens, let your glory be over all the earth.