- <To the chief music-maker;
put to At-tashheth.
When Saul sent, and they were watching the house, to put him to death.>
Take me out of the hands of the cruel ones, O my God;
keep me safe from those who come up against me.
- Take me out of the power of the workers of evil, and keep me safe from the men of blood.
- For see, they are watching in secret for my soul;
the strong have come together against me?
but not because of my sin, or my evil-doing, O Lord.
- For no sin of mine they go quickly and get themselves ready;
be awake and come to my help, and see.
- You, O Lord God of armies, are the God of Israel;
come now and give punishment to the nations;
have no mercy on any workers of deceit.
- They come back in the evening;
they make a noise like a dog, and go round the town.
- See, hate is dropping from their lips;
curses are on their tongues: they say, Who gives attention to it?
- But you are laughing at them, O Lord;
you will make sport of all the nations.
- O my strength, I will put my hope in you;
because God is my strong tower.
- The God of my mercy will go before me: God will let me see my desire effected on my haters.
- Put them not to death, for so my people will keep the memory of them: let them be sent in all directions by your power;
make them low, O Lord our saviour.
- Because of the sin of their mouths and the word of their lips, let them even be taken in their pride;
and for their curses and their deceit,
- Put an end to them in your wrath, put an end to them, so that they may not be seen again;
let them see that God is ruling in Jacob and to the ends of the earth.
- And in the evening let them come back, and make a noise like a dog, and go round the town.
- Let them go wandering up and down in search of food, and be there all night if they have not enough.
- But I will make songs of your power;
yes, I will give cries of joy for your mercy in the morning;
because you have been my strength and my high tower in the day of my trouble.
- To you, O my strength, will I make my song: because God is my high tower, even the God of my mercy.