- <To the chief music-maker;
put to Shushan-eduth.
When he was fighting against Aram-naharaim and Aramzobah, when Joab came back, and put twelve thousand of the Edomites to death, in the Valley of Salt.>
God, you have put us away from you, you have sent us in all directions, you have been angry;
O be turned to us again.
- By the power of your hand the earth is shaking and broken;
make it strong again, for it is moved.
- You have made the people see hard times;
you have given us the wine of shaking for our drink.
- Give a safe place to those who have fear of you, where they may go in flight from before the bow.
- So that your loved ones may be made safe, let your right hand be my salvation, and give me an answer.
- God has said in his holy place, I will be glad: I will make a division of Shechem, and the valley of Succoth will be measured out.
- Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine;
and Ephraim is the strength of my head;
Judah is my law-giver;
- Moab is my washpot;
over Edom will I put out my shoe;
over Philistia will a glad cry be sounded.
- Who will take me into the strong town?
who will be my guide into Edom?
- Have not you put us away, O God?
and you have not gone out with our armies.
- Give us help in our trouble;
for there is no help in man.
- Through God we will do great things, for through him our haters will be crushed under our feet.