- <To the chief music-maker.
O God, let the voice of my grief come to your ear: keep my life from the fear of those who are against me.
- Keep me safe from the secret purpose of wrongdoers;
from the band of the workers of evil;
- Who make their tongues sharp like a sword, and whose arrows are pointed, even bitter words;
- So that in secret they may let loose their arrows at the upright, suddenly and unseen.
- They make themselves strong in an evil purpose;
they make holes for secret nets;
they say, Who will see it,
- Or make discovery of our secret purpose?
The design is framed with care;
and the inner thought of a man, and his heart, is deep.
- But God sends out an arrow against them;
suddenly they are wounded.
- The evil of their tongues is the cause of their fall;
all those who see them are shaking their heads at them.
- And in fear men make public the works of God;
and giving thought to his acts they get wisdom.
- The upright will be glad in the Lord and have hope in him;
and all the lovers of righteousness will give him glory.